Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grand Duke Wladimir proclaims himself as heir


November 4, 1938
]
Grand Duke Wladimir, 21 year-old son of the late Grand Duke Kirill, "issued a manifesto tonight announcing his claim to the extinct Russian throne," reports the New York Times.
Grand Duke Kirill died on October 12 at the American Hospital in Paris.
He notified his "subjects, largely White Russians, officially of his father's death.
"My beloved father, Emperor Kirill Vladmirovitch, bequeathed to me his love and sacrificial services to Russia and the Russian people."  
Wladimir promised to follow his father's path.  "Following the example of my father and with a deep conviction of the sacred duty that falls to me by inheritance, as head of the Russian Imperial House, I hereby assume all the rights and responsibilities belonging to me by virtue of the fundamental law of the Russian Empire and the statute of the Imperial family.
"As a faithful son of the Holy Orthodox Church, who is at present responsible to me, I beg her blessing and support in my forthcoming difficult service.
"I also address all Russians to whom the fate of Russia is dear, and I appeal to them to rally around me and follow me in close cooperation for the welfare of our people. I have only one aim, and aspiration - to give myself to Russia for the happiness and welfare of the Russian people, who will obtain freedom only under the protection of the Imperial throne.
"Kneeling before Almighty God, I pray that he will grant me forever the forces for my service to the people and I trust all Russians unanimously will come to help me in my striving to free the Fatherland from suffering and humiliation."
Grand Duke Wladimir, an undergraduate at London University, is popular with Russian monarchists, but his father, a cousin of the late Nicholas II, "did not hold their undivided allegiance."

No comments: