Thursday, October 8, 2026

June 17 A second visit to Duke's Lane

 



My final day in England.  Katrina invited me to join her at Duke's Lane.  She had errands to run before heading to Windsor, so today's plan was for me to take the train from Waterloo to Sunningdale.   I walked from the train station down London Road to Broomhall Lane, and stood under a shady tree until Katrina turned the corner, stopped, and I jumped into the car.

We parked in the same parking lot - a field -- and headed to a shady spot.  

Much to our delight, the second carriage included the Prince and Princess of Wales.  I must admit the carriages went by sooooooo fast today.












The Queen and Lady Sarah Chatto



Katrina dropped me off at the intersection of London Road and Broomhall Lane, a short walk to the Sunningdale Station.

Headed back to my Airbnb in Camden,  before heading to the Camden Town Brewery.  Camden Ale is my absolute favorite beer (and I cannot buy it in the US.)  To my disappointment, though, I learned that the local brew is now owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev.  Boo.  

I ordered a pint and chips at the bar,  and then sat outside.  A nice, relaxing late afternoon.  Back at my lovely Airbnb, my host made me a cup of tea.  I ordered a small pizza from the pizzeria across the street -- and then went for a walk by the canal.  The streets were quiet as England's first World Cup Game.  

Finished packing and watched a bit of the game with my host.   The next morning, up early and walked to Pedro's Cafe (165 Kentish Town Rd, London NW1 8PD) for breakfast.   Scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit and toast -- and of course, coffee.

My host walked with me to the bus stop, where I caught the bus to Paddington.  Excellent host.  Second time I stayed with her.   London's public transportation system is superb (on most days).  You don't have to stay in the tourist areas, which include Kensington, Victoria, Bayswater Road, Marble Arch, and Westminster.  London is a BIG city with many great neighborhoods to explore.  During my many visits, I have stayed in Kensington, Gloucester Road, Earl's Court, Bayswater Road (Columbia Hotel, Best Western, Grand Royal Hyde Park, and Edgeware Road, until the Hilton's prices shot up).

The Columbia Hotel was once a Red Cross hospital run by Lady Randolph Churchill, and more recently, where up-and-coming rock stars hung out.   I loved the Grand Royal because it was once Lily Langtry's home.  The hotel bar kept her stage.  The room off the lobby included portraits of Queen Alexandra and King Edward VII.   The breakfast room had several cabinets displaying Lily's possessions.  

I love staying in Airbnbs.  I have never had a bad experience.  I have stayed three times in Walthamstow (twice with a couple who own a home across from the Wetlands), and also in a Victorian cottage down a path, rather than a street.  Twice in Battersea:  near Battersea Park, and in a condo overlooking the Thames, which I had to myself for a week.  The flat had a balcony, where I sat with coffee every morning... delightful!

Battersea is great for access to Clapham Junction.   And, in the Summer of 1980, I lived in Turnham Green, housesitting for friends.  

Staying in London neighborhoods away from the touristy areas. You get local coffee shops, restaurants, pubs, and great breakfast places.   And sometimes, a good local ale as well.










No comments: