Wednesday, October 7, 2026

June 16 - Duke's Lane and RHS Wisley

    



I picked up breakfast at Waterloo Station before getting on the train to Brookwood, where my friend Katrina would pick me up.  After a brief stop at her house, we headed to Duke's Lane.  At the bottom of the hill, she showed me her parking spot and then headed to the parking lot off Duke's Lane.  These parking passes are like gold.

We joined Katrina's friend, Val, and her husband, and settled down for a lovely picnic.  The Royal School, located in Windsor Great Park, sets up a PTA bake sale every year.  I walked over to the bake sale, and one of the mom's said to me: "I remember you from last year.  You like Victoria Sponge Cake."

"Yes, please," I replied.  I added, "Thank you,"  after I paid for the slice.

Val took a photo and said, "You and your cake!"


I love Victoria Sponge Cake!!!

We arrived about noon.  Most people who picnic on both sides of Duke's Lane are locals, with a few tourists, except those who have dear friends and invite them to come.  The press are not invited -- and they are all at Ascot.

Duke's Lane is where the carriages arrive about 1:30, about 10 minutes before the royals arrive in cars from Windsor Castle.

As soon as the royals arrive, people starting applauding and taking pictures.  The police know who to entertain, as they have puppets which they wave from the windows, usually when following these carriages.



This police car headed toward Ascot before the carriages arrived.





The King and Queen are accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of Wellington





















Peter and Harriet cannot keep their eyes off each other

Sir Ben Elliot is Queen Camilla's nephew

















After the carriages, cars and security are down Duke's Lane, we gather blankets and chairs and head to the car.  Katrina has an idea to visit RHS Wisley, one of Britain's premier gardens.  She knows I love flowers, so off we go.  

The gardens are in Woking, which meant a bit of a trip on the M1.  It was a blistering hot day  -- the only rain during my trip was at Belvoir Castle.



A male mallard

Mrs. Mallard ... As most people know, I love ducks




I will dance for you, nice American lady with Camera















RHS Wisley is huge, and we saw only a fraction of the gardens.









Princess Alexandra of Kent Rose in Bowes-Lyon Rose Garden

The Rose Gardens are breathtaking -- and stunning.

























Fir Tree















Some people thought the heron was fake ... it wasn't













We headed back to Katrina's house to decide about dinner - and the final choice was The Royal Oak Pub in Pirbright.




Dinner was excellent -- I had a Pimm's Cup as well.    And then it was back at the train station to catch the train to Waterloo, then the Northern Line to Camden Town.








No comments: