Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lennart to wed despite king's ban

February 2, 1931



Prince Lennart of Sweden has "decided to marry the girl he loves" even though "an official court circular was issued today in which the Prince's grandfather, King Gustaf, refuses his consent."
The Prince is ready to renounce his right to the Swedish throne, and become plain Lennart Wilhelmsson.
"Now I am glad because the question is settled." 

He plans to marry Swedish commoner, Karin Nissvandt, whom he has known since he was fourteen years old.

The official announcement was made by the Grand Marshall of the Swedish court:
"The Constitution provides that a prince of the royal house shall not marry without the knowledge and consent of the King. Notwithstanding this, Prince Lennart has announced his intention of concluding a marriage without the previous consent of the King. After long and earnest consideration of all the circumstances and with deep regret the King has reached the conclusion that his consent to the marriage must still be withheld."

Prince Lennart is staying at the home of his future mother-in-law, Anna Nissvandt. His fiancée is ill with a sore throat. The prince was interviewed by a reporter from the Stockholm Tidning, who asked "Who am I to congratulate most, you or your fiancée?"

"I think we are equally pleased," Prince Lennart responded. He was also asked about the headlines referring to his expulsion from the royal house.

Lennart responded angrily: "They don't know what they are writing. The expression is unfortunate, to say the least. I am not being expelled. During this rather difficult time, I have received so many proofs of sympathy from my closest relations that seldom have I felt the bond of my family stronger than now. It is incorrect when a newspaper says, 'The two young people insist on and declare their engagement against the wish and the will of the King.' You understand, I cannot very well sit here and comment on any such remark, which wounds me. How can anybody believe I have the cheek to act absolutely contrary to the will of whom to whom we and all our family show obedience in important questions."

No comments: