Saturday, September 14, 2024

Day 10 June 17 Windsor and Order the Garter



After a quick breakfast in the condo, I headed out for Windsor.  The view is the Thames as the condo is located by the river.

The bus stop for Clapham Junction is across the street.  A 5-minute ride to the station.  I purchased a return ticket and headed to the platform.   Much to my delight, a Costa Coffee stand is on the platform.  

Yes, I will have a vanilla latte.   While I wait for the train, I message my friend to say I will meet her by the Victoria Statue.

Windsor has two stations:  Windsor & Eton Central and Windsor & Eton Riverside  I usually go to Windsor from Paddington, which means changing at Slough for Windsor & Eton Central,  across the street from the Castle.  This time I arrived at Windsor & Eton Riverside, by the Thames, and a short walk up High Street to the Castle.

I planned to arrive early to browse a few shops and take photographs by the river.



A beautiful morning by the Thames
This made me giggle as I have these two rubber ducks
HH Prince Christian Victor of Schleswig-Holstein (1867-1900), a grandson of Queen Victoria.  His mother was Princess Helena
This amused me.  Five Guys' headquarters is in Alexandria, VA

I was already sitting on the bench when my friend Katrina arrived.  We headed straight for the Garter line, where our tickets were checked.  It was now about 8:30.  One settled in the line, I went off to buy food for lunch.  Much to my disappointment the local Smith's (on High Street) does not sell sandwiches.   I walked to Peascod to Marks & Spencer, where I bought a sandwich, fruit, crisps and water.   

Ran into photographer Paul Ratliffe again -- we were next to each other outside BP for the balcony appearance at the Trooping
Looks like the Crooked House may be getting a new tenant after several years of being closed
At noon we were let into the castle to get to our spots.  Time to sit down, enjoy the company, the view and lunch
I bought a chocolate heaven ice cream cone.
Thrilled to meet Lauren Parkinson, who is known to many royal enthusiasts as Parkyprincess on Instagram
The indomitable Ken Stone
Acclaimed biographer Hugo Vickers
The Earl of Ulster, Lady Davinia Windsor, and Lady Rose Gilman,  children of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.   The Duchess was installed as a Royal Lady of the Garter
The young boy is Rufus Gilman
Rufus and Lyla Gilman and Lady Cosima Windsor

HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh and Sir Timothy Laurence arrive
The Duchess sees the Gloucester family  and motions them to join her 
Lord Ulster is standing next to Lady Blair, wife of former Prime Minister Sir Tony Blair,  who is a Knight of the Garter 
Alistair Bruce looks right at me
Andrew Lloyd Webber (right), now Lord Lloyd Webber, was installed as a Knight of the Garter
Lady Mary Peters and Baroness Amos.   Lady Mary won the Gold Medal in the Pentathlon at the 1972
 Summer Olympics
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, HRH the Princess Royal and HRH The Princess of Wales

TM The King and Queen
Right at my camera




So happy to finally meet Lauren.



Katrina and her friends were in another section so we met up outside the Castle and walked down High Street to the King & Castle pub for dinner and a cold beer!!!!!!

And then it off to the train station and back to Battersea.  Tomorrow Duke's Lane.


1 comment:

Christina O. said...

June 17 was a bright and sunny day for the Order of the Garter and you were in an awesome position to capture everyone parading by. Can't believe how many looked right at your lens!