Sunday, December 12, 2021

Flurry Christmas


Harper would like to announce the arrival of a little sister, Fleur Victoria, who is also known as Flurry.  

I found her on Adopt-a-Pet, which is Tinder for those of us seeking to adopt a pet, usually a cat or a dog.  All of the animal shelters and rescue groups use one or both of the services.   I swipe, but the cat does not swipe back.

I had visited one shelter and sent messages about several cats in other shelters, rescue groups and, one rehoming cat.  All were adorable, all were adopted.  I got Fleur from a To the Rescue, a local group in Springfield, Virginia, and met her at a local Petco, where To the Rescue was doing adoptions.





I checked the site every day to see if Fleur was still available.  I also messaged the rescue group and was told that unless she was adopted in North Carolina, where she was living with a foster mom, she would be at the fair.  The foster mom was driving from North Carolina and was expected to arrive by 1 p.m.  I arrived shortly before 1 p.m.

Fleur was already there.  She was in a display "cage" with a separate bathroom, and she was sharing that large room with several kittens.   Flurry looked even better in person.  I held her, hugged her, and I looked into those green eyes and asked the most important question:  do you want to come home and be a Koenig cat.   A nudge and purrs .... yes, can  I be your furrever kitty?

One of the group's volunteers asked me if they needed to call the foster mom to come back.   No ... I want to adopt her.  She is purrfect.

I brought a carrier with me ..  smart thinking.  Filled out the paperwork.  She was chipped and given a de-wormer.   I was given her medical records and will bring her to the vet so she can be checked out as well.

Fleur was described as about four years old.  I was looking for a female cat between four and seven years old and good with other cats.  







She is very tiny, and I am beginning to think she is younger than four.  She also has a swagger and is a very confident kitty.  I brought her upstairs so she could see the litter boxes, and gave her some food as she had not eaten before leaving North Carolina.  Harper came upstairs, jumped on the desk for a few minutes, and then jumped down, walked over to give Fleur a kiss.  No hissing.  I decided to let her explore, expecting she would prefer to hide until she felt safe.

Well,  she did not hide (not until a few hours ago when I turned on the vacuum cleaner).   Fleur explored every corner, every nook, and cranny in my condo.  She saw the Christmas tree and showed no interest in it.   Phew.  





I introduced her to several toys and she enjoyed playing with them.  Harper has sat next to her and jumped on the bed when she was on it.  That is a good sign, but both are taking their time to get to know each other.  I think they will be fine.

Fleur is tiny and she has the sweetest meow.  Mew Mew.



9 comments:

rharlan58 said...

Congratulations. Rescues are the best my family(siblings & myself)only do shelter animals, dogs or cats. Food in you.👌👏

Bluesaphire70 said...

She's adorable! She looks like she could be my sweet Vicky's kid sister. I got her when she was 18 months and we've been happily together for 7 years now. She has the sweetest disposition which seems to be little Flurry's character as well. Congratulations on your new baby!

Cea said...

She's beautiful! Brown tabbies are the best. Congrats on your new family member.

Wendy Hunter said...

I’m so glad you rescued a cat, Marlene. This can’t help but make your Christmas celebrations even happier!

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

thanks Wendy, All of my cats have been rescues ...

Mind Wanderings said...

What a pretty cat she is! Love her face. We have two rescue tabbies - sisters who have been with us all their lives.
Merry Christmas to you and the kitties.

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

thanks she is adorable.

Rob & Beth Craig said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful, and it is so wonderful your two kitties get along! We have a rescue tabby, and he and my Father in law's cat (whom we acquired after he passed three years ago) are still not friends :(.

Sweenya said...

She has a great deal of presence...looking straight at the camera, and holding herself very regally. Lovely stripes, and whiskers! Have fun!