Friday, January 13, 2012

The Duke of Clarence: anxiety for his life

Embed from Getty Images

A bulletin from Sandringham at 8:00 a.m, regarding the condition of the Duke of Clarence, says "that there has been no abatement of the unfavorable symptoms during the day"  There is also a great concern for the Duke of Clarence's condition, "although his strength is being well maintained," reports the Chicago Daily Tribune.

The Duke of Clarence's physicians consulted "over the Duke of Clarence" at 9 a.m., and "the absence of this promised bulletin leaves no doubt that the Duke's condition, if not hopeless, is extremely critical."

This view is confirmed by a "statement just received privately from Sandringham, and from an authority which can be vouched for, which states that nothing but a miracle can save the patient."

The Duke's kidneys, always, are now infected with "symptoms of blood poisoning.  According to "same authority,"  the "reassuring bulletin of this afternoon" is considered misleading, as "all hope is given up at Sandringham tonight."

The Duke's mother, the Princess of Wales is distraught, and "fears are entertained for her life should the Duke of Clarence die."

A further examination shows that both of the Duke's lungs are now severely congested.  He is in acute pain, and "his breathing is difficult.    The Duke of Clarence has never had the "robust vitality of his brother."

The Princess of Wales has "assiduously nursed" her son, and has been "occasionally assisted" by the Duke's fiancee, Princess Mary Victoria of Teck.

Embed from Getty Images 
Crowds continue to grow outside the gates at Sandringham. This afternoon, the Prince of Wales could be seen leaving the house and "solemnly pace up and down before the Norfolk gate."  He was later joined by Princess Mary, accompanied by Prince George of Wales.

Princess Mary told a friend that this was the seventh day of the Duke's illness.   A week ago, the Duke was a member of a shooting party.  At luncheon,  he complained that he did not feel well. He was shivering and felt cold, but after lunch, he continued to shoot.   At the end of the day's shooting, he walked back to the house, "instead of driving with the rest of the party." That evening, he dined with the "assembled party," but retired early.   Although Princess Mary and others tried to dissuade him from joining the shooting party the next day, the Duke of Clarence insisted on taking part, "saying he felt equal to the exercise."

But after luncheon, he said he felt unwell and left the party, and returned to Sandringham on foot.  Princess Mary accompanied him back to Sandringham.  Later that evening, he "seemed rather better," but the following day, "his malady began to declare itself."

No comments: