Thursday, March 7, 2024

Protection orders for Prince Leka and his estranged wife.

@Berta Celibashi



Prince Leka of Albania and his estranged wife Elia Zaharia must keep a distance of five meters (16 feet) from other each, according to a court ruling in Tirana earlier today.  Leka will be able to see his daughter, Princess Geraldine, in the presence of her nanny.

The protection orders were issued after a video was released to the media that allegedly showed Prince Leka being attacked by his father-in-law, Gjerji Zaharia.  Prince Leka filmed the attack as evidence, which he shared with the Tirana police.  The Prince, who is head of the Albanian royal house,  stated emphatically that he did not release the video to the media.

The alleged attack took place on March 5.   According to several Albanian news sources, Prince Leka, 41, went to see his daughter.  Elia's father was babysitting as she was not home.   Both the prince and Mr. Zahara acknowledge the meeting quickly became violent.  The prince claimed he was attacked by his father-in-law, who stated he was too old to attack anyone.  Prince Leka said  Zaharia "started with insulting and threatening words in my direction, telling me that you should change the way when you look at me."

According to Prince Leka's statement to the police, Gjergi Zaharia also ripped Leka's sweatshirt in front of Princess Geraldine,  Leka's three-year-old daughter.

A protection order was not approved for Elia's father. 

  Embed from Getty Images Embed from Getty Images

The Prosecutor's Office in Tirana has begun two investigations, domestic violence and who released Prince Leka's video, which is considered "material evidence," to the press.

Here is the text of Prince Leka's testimony:

It was at 15:20 (3:30 p.m.)  in my apartment on "Murat Toptani" street, the residence of the royal family No. 6, Tirana to meet my 3-year-old daughter, as my wife, Elia Zogu, and I are in the process of divorcing... I first met with the Head of the Yard's administration, citizen Syl Mulosmanaj, whom I asked about a closet that was emptied in violation of the agreement.

Then I asked Syla to accompany me to my daughter to meet her. My estranged wife and are working toward a divorce settlement agreement.

I arrived with Syla and found my little daughter Geraldina Zogu, aged 3, who was in the company of her grandfather, Gjergj Zaharia.

At this moment, I hugged my daughter and the Gjergj Zaharia started using insulting and threatening words in my direction, telling me that O should change the way when I  look at you.

My reaction in this situation was to tell Gjergji, not to insult and threaten me, especially in the presence of my daughter, and I asked him to leave the room where I was staying with my daughter

In the next few minutes, Gjergj Zaharia aggravated the situation. He approached me, pushing me and kicking my legs. My reaction was only defensive, but Gjergji continued to hit me and tore my sweatshirt and also took a hard object (wooden statue) with which he hit me."

Leka's father-in-law, Gjergi Zaharia also testified: "The prince was violent towards me and spoke to me in a harsh language. I did not violate him, I only defended myself. I'm 70 or so years old and I can't stand on my feet, I can't kick the prince who is 2 meters tall  (6.6 feet) anymore".

In January, the couple announced they were separating.  They married in Tirana on October 8, 2016.

https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2024/01/a-divorce-for-crown-prince-leka-and.html

https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2024/01/crown-prince-leka-confirms-divorce.html


Elia, 41, and her 73-year-old father attended the court proceedings.  Prince Leka was represented by his lawyer.

According to Elia, an Albanian actress, she came home to find her father and her estranged husband in an altercation.  "It is a difficult situation for me and my family as it is not easy to return home and find Leka trying to attack my 73-year-old father.  The conflict has nothing to do with me, except that I tried to stop it."  

The video shows her father allegedly attacking Prince Leka.

Both parties signed the agreement,  According to a statement released by the prince, there have been no problems with finalizing the divorce.  The prince's lawyer states Leka has given Elia assets to "provide her with a dignified life."

Elia and Geraldine have remained in the marital home, the royal palace, but she has no rights to this residence.  They will have to leave the palace and move into an apartment with the rent paid by Leka.

Leka's office issued a statement yesterday: 

 "The Royal Court expresses its deep disappointment with the law enforcement institutions, which we suspect have violated the right to anonymity, by distributing the videos to third parties.

As you have been informed, on the afternoon of March 5, Prince Leka was physically attacked with hard objects by his ex-wife and ex-father-in-law, and the videos of this moment were made public on social networks.

The videos were submitted only to the police station by Prince Leka ll Zogu, as material evidence of the violence against him, but despite being considered a secret, these materials, together with the statement, circulated widely on social networks and in the media. conveys unpleasant and violent images.

The Royal Court expresses its deep disappointment with the law enforcement institutions which we suspect have violated the right to anonymity by distributing the videos to third parties.

The Royal Court also requests the intervention of the police and relevant institutions to delete these images from social networks and the media."

[Royal Musings will not provide links that include the video.]

No comments: