Sunday, August 6, 2023

Day 10 - Polesden Lacey


Coronation photo op at Waterloo Station


My final day in England was spent with my friend, Katrina.  I headed to Waterloo Station (where I had breakfast) to catch to Guildford where Katrina met me.  We headed straight to Polesden Lacey to see the Royal Connections exhibit.  In 1923, the newly married Duke and Duchess of York spent their honeymoon at Polesden Lacey.

This was my second visit to Polesden Lacey, once the home of Margaret Greville, and now owned by the National Trust.


https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-mrs-ronald-greville-left-in-her.html




Love the Transport for London poster for the Coronation



In the middle of Waterloo Station ... there was a queue to sit in the chair for a photo op




Another bank holiday weekend, which meant crowds, but many of the guests preferred to have picnics on the lawn, rather than visit the house.




Staff were dressed in period costumes





Margaret Greville


Portico Bedroom





Margaret's father William McEwan was a wealthy Scots brewer. Margaret was born in 1863.  Her father did not marry her mother, Helen Anderson, until 1885.  She was McEwan's cook.  She was married to another man at the time of Margaret's birth.   


Margaret Anderson, later the Hon. Mrs. Ronald Greville  1889







Grand Duke Michael and Countess Sophie Torby with their two daughters, Countess Anastasia (Zia) and Countess Nadejda (Nada)






Catherine de Medici

King James V of Scotland




Faberge collection

Faberge

Faberge

Faberge




William McEwan bought Polesden Lacey as a gift for Margaret and her husband, the Hon. Ronald Greville following their marriage in 1891.   Ronald Greville died in 1908 at the age of 43.


The Duke and Duchess of York on their honeymoon











the Study




Princess Beatrice, Infanta Beatriz (Nee Princess of Edinburgh), holding her granddaughter, Sandra Torlonia and sitting on the ground, Ena's daughter, Infanta Beatriz  Princess Torlonia.


Crown Princess Cecilie of Prussia

Grand Duchess Marie Georgievna of Russia (nee Princess Marie of Greece and Denmark).















A replica of the Greville tiara, one of two of Margaret's tiaras that she left to the Royal Family









Billiard Room







Margaret's grave at Polesden Lacey.  She died on September 15, 1942, at the Dorchester Hotel in London, and was buried at Polesden Lacey.   She left all of her jewels to Queen Elizabeth, the wife of George VI.  Polesden Lacey and its contents were left to the National Trust.
























Two British Big Band Singers ... the music was excellent



Katarina and I had lunch in the cafe, which is in the Stable Courtyard. We also stopped in at the Shop and the second-hand bookstore.


We drove back to Katrina's home.  I enjoyed a great cup of tea as we watched a part of the Coronation.  Dinner was at the Nags Head Inn in Woking, where Katrina and I dined before.  I chose the chicken, avocado and bacon salad.  

We watched the Coronation Concert, which was excellent. Then it was a quick ride to Brookwood station, where I caught the train to Victoria, and then the Victoria Line to Blackhorse Road. 

It is about a 10-minute walk from the station to the Air BnB on Coppermill Lane.  Chatted with my hosts before heading to a shower and then bed.  








Ducks at the Nags Head Inn.


May 8

Up by 8.   I was not feeling well, and needed -- Immodium -- so I walked toward High Street.  This was a bank holiday so every store, including the pharmacy, was closed.  Several of the smaller shops were open, and thankfully, the second one I went into had the medicine.  Phew.  Got a cup of coffee and a bottle of water and walked back to the house.  My hosts gave me a card thanking me for my second visit.

The cab came at 11:00 to take me to Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express. As I was flying out of Terminal 5, I settled in at Gordon Ramsay's for a meal.  All I could eat was the French fries but could not finish them.   I did enjoy a refreshing Camden Ale, however.  

A bit of retail therapy at Duty-Free (Pimm's, Baileys, and Fortnum & Mason) before settling down with a book.  The flight was delayed.  We arrived in the boarding area to find a fire truck next to our plane.  

The engine was on fire.  No really, the engine was on fire.  

We had to wait until the plane was refueled as the pilot told us there was only enough fuel to get us to Brighton.  Eventually, we were allowed to board and were up in the air.   

British Airways was great.  I alerted them to my issue, and they changed my seat to an aisle seat.  I declined the meal.  The flight attendant asked me if I wanted a plate.  I said yes.  She brought me a plate with cheese and crackers, chocolate pudding, other soft food, and water.   I ate the cheese and crackers and took two bites of the pudding.   I asked if I could have more crackers.  Let's just say the crackers did the trick.  

Not long afterward I was feeling much better.  

It was a wonderful trip.  While we all would have preferred a sunny Coronation Day, there are no regrets about camping out for two nights.   I would do it again.


2 comments:

Christina O. said...

What a champ you are! I believe we all can relate to the ups and downs of international travel!

Thank you for all the details and photos, inside and out, of Polesden Lacey.

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Thanks ...