Friday, September 5, 2008

Grand Duke Alexander loves American women

September 6, 1913

Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich of Russia is staying at the Ritz-Carlton in New York City. He was recently in Newport, Rhode Island. He was interviewed by a New York Times reporter, and was asked what he thought about Americans and "our little town."
"You ask me as if I were a stranger. I am not," the Grand Duke said. He pointed out that this is not his first visit to the United States. "Let me see -- it was about twenty years ago that I visited this country. At that time, I saw a great deal." He told the reporter that he kept abreast of what was happening in the USA. "I have read the books. I have read the descriptions of what was being done."
He commented about how our buildings were taller than the last visit. "I have kept pace with everything that has been going on so that there is nothing really new for me. I like America and New York very much."

But the Grand Duke admitted that there was one aspect of America that he did not enjoy. "That is the rush, the hurry that is characteristic of everything and everywhere. There is plenty of time. Why not take things a little more quietly? One is always in a hurry here. Even in Newport I noticed that the rush was always characteristic. You rush in your business; but why should you rush when you are supposed to be at leisure and are having your pleasure -- your holiday? Your men, in this way, do not enjoy their youth when it is theirs. Each wants to rush through everything. Perhaps they make money, but then what is money unless it can be properly spent, and what is the use of acquiring great wealth if you cannot live to enjoy it?"
The Grand Duke arrived several weeks ago with Barclay Warburton. They were in Philadelphia for a visit, and then the Grand Duke traveled to Newport as the guest of Mrs. John Astor.
He was also asked if he thought if American women were also in a hurry. "With them it is different. The American women take more time for the better things of life. They sing well, they dance well. They are beautiful and charming, in brief they are exquisite.
Alexander is married to Nicholas II's sister, Grand Duchess Xenia. He stands more than six feet tall, and has a "marked military bearing."

No comments: