Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Count de Chambord's funeral

September 2, 1883. "A solemn requiem service" was performed over the body of the Count of Chambord in the chapel at Frohsdorf. Several members of the Austrian and Orleans families were present. The count's widow issue a statement that the funeral should be headed by the nearest "relatives of her deceased husband." This statement did not please the Orleans princes who said they would not now attend the funeral, and would return to Paris. The Countess of Chambord wants the funeral to be of a private matter, which does not appeal to the Count of Paris, who would want to see the funeral as a monarchical display.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog, Marlene!! I´ve read your comments usually at the AP Forum (I´m Yseult there...) but this blog is simply irresistible...Can´t express how much I´ve enjoyed all the contents, these comments and the nice pictures...
You can be very proud of your blog, for sure...
My best regards and also my best wishes
Yseult

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

thanks so much for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

Nothing at all...you deserve the kind words and more ;) I can imagine all the time you´ve spent making your researchs to share your knowledge here for free...it´s really really a precious gift! Good luck (and sorry for my english, not very fluent to express myself properly!) and I hope this blog is "to be continued" ;)

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Your English is commendable ... I may have to take a break from time to time for other writing needs .. such as magazine articles.