Saturday, October 21, 2023

Day 2 (Part 2) - the NPG and the Theatre

 



I took the subway to Leicester Square to go to the Half-Price ticket booth.  The booth sells tickets to all productions in London, and not all are discounted.  Much to my delight I bought a ticket for Hamilton in the stalls (what Americans call the orchestra seats).  

I had entered the lottery for a £10 ticket for Hamilton but did not win a ticket.  I paid a bit more than £10 but it was WORTH IT!   

After getting the ticket, I sat down for a bit in the park in Leicester Square.  I sat next to my bestie, Paddington Bear

Everyone wants to sit next to Paddington!!!!










It is a short walk from Leicester Square to Charing Cross Road and the National Portrait Gallery, which reopened on June 22nd, after a three-year design of the St. Martin's Place building.  All I have to say is WOW!    It is free to visit, although special exhibits require tickets.  




I am so glad I got to see this portrait
















Sir Philip Sidney































































The Bronte sisters









A bust of Edward VII.  Did not see a portrait of the king or Queen Alexandra







I wanted to see Paul McCartney's photos at the NPG, a ticketed event, but not enough time.


After visiting the NPG, I had tea in their new cafe.  The two scones were HUGE.  Seriously the scones were HUGE!   Delicious, too.  

Headed back to the tube to Victoria Station and a short walk to Victoria Palace Theatre.  Next door to the theatre is the Duke of York pub.  I had not eaten at this pub in some years.  Convenient, but crowded.  Difficult to get a table for one.  A nice Australian family invited me to sit at their table.   I ordered a salad and water.  As I said, the scones were HUGE!!!!!  I was not very hungry.

The London production of Hamilton is excellent. 


Little Ben near Victoria Station




 
The Duke of York pub was named for George III's second son, Prince Frederick, Duke of York, the "Grand Old Duke of York"

The marriage of the Duke of York and Princess Frederica of Prussia




One more day full day - this would be the visit to Buckingham Palace.   

Part 1 https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2023/10/back-to-london-september-12-13.html

1 comment:

BlueSaphire70 said...

I enjoyed the pictures very much! Thank you.