Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Day 2 Blenheim Palace

I first visited Blenheim Palace in the late 1980s.  It was time to visit again.  Hindsight being 20/20 I should have switched days, heading first to Osborne and then Blenheim.  But I did not know that that a Triathlon was being held on the day I visited the Duke of Marlborough's home.

Train to Oxford (from Paddington) and then a bus to Woodstock, where you get dropped off at the front gates.   If you come by public transit, keep your receipt because you can get 30% off the ticket price.  I got 30% off Concessions (Senior citizens and other discounts) price.  Good deal.

The sun was shining when I arrived, but the weather soon changed to overcast, then rain.  I wanted to go to church at Bladon, about a mile away, where Consuelo Vanderbilt (Duchess of Marlborough) is buried, as is Winston Churchill.

The former Prime Minister was born at Blenheim.  He was the son of Lord Randolph Churchill and his American wife, Jennie Jerome.   Winston was a first cousin of Charles, the 9th Duke of Marlborough, who was married twice.  His first marriage was to the very rich American heiress, Consuelo Vanderbilt.  His second wife was also American.


There are several tours that can be undertaken. I did the main tour and then the tour of the private apartments of the present Duke and Duchess of Marlborough.

Yes, photographs can be taken inside ... no flash, of course ... with the exception of the private apartments.

After returning to London, I had Sunday roast at The Victoria Pub near Lancaster Gate.  After dinner, I wandered down toward Buckingham Palace to see the US & UK flags on the Mall.

The last image is of the Albert Bridge (Prince Albert).

I got off the bus on Battersea Bridge Road to walk toward my Air BnB.  A small animal darted in front of me.  I did a double take, not sure of what I saw.  The animal stopped and looked back at me .... those little red ears, red puffy tail ...those cute little eyes ...,.and then ran off.

As it turns out, foxes are common in the Battersea-Clapham-Wandsworth area of London.  Urban foxes.  I saw the fox the following night, but he did not make an appearance for the rest of my visit.





























































the John Singer Sargent portrait























































































































































































































































Albert Bridge
https://www.blenheimpalace.com/

https://www.victoriapaddington.co.uk/

2 comments:

Candace Hinchey said...

I've been to Blenheim - rode the train and bus just as you did. It was so cool. There's
almost too much to see at Blenheim. Great place!

mayteck said...

What a great day you had at Blenheim. Have been a number of times and always please. Loved the private apartments too. Thank you for sharing your photos