Sunday, May 27, 2018

Day 5 The day before the wedding

I got into Windsor at around 9 a.m.  When I got off the train in Slough, armed with my sleeping bag and other things, one of the staff at Harry and Meghan Central said: "I know where you are going!"

I smiled.  Giggled, too.

Headed straight to the Long Walk to secure a position.  I settled at a front row spot across from the second big screen.   An American couple and several Australians were to the right of me.  Another group of Americans soon moved to the left of me.

I put down the big plastic tablecloth and my stuff and sent a message to one of my Twitter friends,  Susan, where I was as she planned to join me later.  Two other friends would join as in the wee hours.

One of the primary things to do is to get to know your neighbors -- you watch their space and they watch yours.

Portaloos, food trucks and bars were set up on each side of the Long Walk.   We were told the bars would open at 9 p.m.  False information.  The bars would open at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

I headed back toward Peascod Street to get some food, water, and wine at Marks and Spencer.  The town is getting more crowded with street closures planned for 10 p.m.

The Windsor branch of Marks & Spencer, known affectionately as Marks & Sparks, changed its name for three days - to Markle & Sparkle.  Great marketing idea!!

I run into an old friend, Christopher Barnes,  and her family, who were being interviewed by Kelly Cobiella from NBC News.   In July 1986,  Christopher, her daughter, Sarah, and I camped outside the Victoria Memorial the night before the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.

More people arrived as the day drew into the evening.  I did another  BBC interview that evening.

Got a hot dog and chips and a Coke from the Hotdog vendor.  I may have flirted with Spencer because at about 1 a.m. (the vendors stayed open all night) he came over to say he would bring my friends and I breakfast - bacon butties -- at about 6 a.m.  Free.  Thank you, Spencer.

Susan and I settled down in our sleeping bags.  I had also bought a bivy bag, warm clothes, extra socks and a bag of Mylar blankets, which I shared with Susan and the other Americans who had come at the last minute and were not prepared for the 45 F degree temperature at night.   I also had a blanket from my London hotel that I did not need to return.

I think I got a few hours sleep. But once the sun began to rise,  the quiet ceased -- and people started to awake.  Spencer came with breakfast.  Susan got the coffee for us.  Imagine having breakfast with Windsor Castle behind you ... a great view.

One of the town criers

New name (for the weekend) of Marks & Spencer

Natalie Morales

My little American flag

Kelly Cobiella from NBC

These banners were made by local school children

Spencer's hotdog stand

a proud little girl with her bunting

Wonder what Victoria would think of all this ..this statue of Queen Victoria is at the bottom of Castle Hill.  Note the big guns

Terry Hutt, super royalist

The police were awesome and got into the spirit

the celebrating started on Friday night

Dogs, too. love a royal wedding

and they keep coming

Christiam Fraser from BBC who interviewd me 

Susan tweeting out about how all the fun we are having

Midnight selfie - Susan and Marlene

No comments: