Friday, April 24, 2009
The marriage of Prince Georg of Denmark and Anne, Viscountess Anson
"The Queen and Princess Margaret motored from Balmoral to Glamis Castle on Saturday to attend the family luncheon party which followed the marriage of Prince Georg of Denmark, Acting Military Attaché, and the Viscountess Anson," reports the The Times on September 18, 1950.
The couple were married in the private chapel at Glamis Chapel. The Rev. M. Buch, chaplain to the Danish Seamen's Mission in Newcastle, officiated at the ceremony. The lesson was read by Canon H.G.G. Rorison, who is the chaplain to the Earl of Strathmore. The bride was given away by her grandfather, Lord Clinton. She wore "a gown of blue and silver brocade, with a close fitting-bodice, a deep V-neckline, and long, tight sleeves, and the skirt forming a slight train." The new Princess Georg of Denmark "wore a small feathered cap to match her dress and carried a hand-spray of white stephanotis, orchids, and lapageria."
The guests included the groom's parents, Prince and Princess Axel of Denmark, the Crown Prince of Norway, Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid of Norway, Prince Carl Bernadotte, Princess Josephine Charlotte of Belgium, and Count and Countess Flemming af Rosenborg. Count Flemming, who is Prince Georg's brother, served as best man.
Lord Strathmore presided at the luncheon party. Other guests included the Hon. Mrs. John Bowes-Lyon, Miss Diana Bowes-Lyon, Lord and Lady Clinton, the Earl and Countess Granville, Lord Levson, Lady Mary Levson Gower, the Hon. David and Mrs. Bowes-Lyon, Mr. Simon Bowes-Lyon, the Hon. Mrs. H. Fane, Captain the Hon. Duthac and Mrs. Carnegie, Mr. SJL Egerton and the bride's son and daughter, the Hon. Patrick and Hon. Elizabeth Anson.