Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Arthur Addington dead at 76

HSH The Prince of Lippe (who died earlier this year) and Arthur Addington.  
Most of my readers will have heard of Arthur Addington, who died today at his home at Harpenden, Hertfordshire.  He was a retired banker, who worked for NatWest for many years.  Thanks to Arthur, I had a NatWest account for many years, where I could deposit my sterling payments for articles that were published in UK magazines.

Arthur was one of the foremost royal genealogists.  He spent many years researching the descendants of King James VI & I, which lead to the publication of his seminal work, Royal House of Stuart: The Descendants of King James VI of Scotland, King James I of England, published in 1969.

The book was published in three volumes, and is considered one of the masterful works of royal genealogy.

Arthur Addington was 76 years old.   [Thanks to Ted Rosvall for allowing me to use this photo.]

7 comments:

In Search of St George said...

My name is Adrian Rance-McGregor and I know that Arthur Addington was a cousin of my late father, Here Frederick (Toby) Rance who lived in Beaconsfield, Bucks.

My nephew David Rance is researching our family history and would love to know if Arthur Addington had any descendants who he could make contact with. Would you know if this is possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Adrian
adrianrance220@gmail.com

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Arthur never married nor had any children. He had several partners during his life.

In Search of St George said...

Thank you so much for your information. I thought that might have been the case. I do know that Arthur did research into the genealogy of the Rance family (I have a few notes he prepared). Would you know if his papers survived him and are kept anywhere?

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

I have no idea .. I had not had a lot of contact with him in the last years of his life.

Mark - Perth - Scotland said...

Would this happen to be the same Arthur Addington who lived with his Mother most of his life who was sadly kidnapped and featured on Crimewatch some years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4SsO9fyiY&t=260s

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

No idea. Can't open your link

Unknown said...

Arthur has a brother Anthony (Tony) Addington
He is still alive and lives in Hemel Hempstead
Yes it was the same person whose mother was kidnapped.
I am Arthur’s goddaughter
I think that Tony got rid of most if not all of his papers unfortunately.