Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The new Queen's first statement

from the Times:  At the Court of Kensington, this 20th day of June, 1837; present, The Queen's Most Excellent Majesty in Council.  Her Majesty being this day present in Council, was pleased to make the following, viz.: -

"The severe and afflicting loss which the nation has sustained by the death of His Majesty, my beloved uncle, has devolved upon me the duty of administering the government of this empire.  This awful responsibility is imposed  upon me so suddenly, and at so early a period of my life, that I should feel myself utter oppressed by the burden were I not sustained by the hope that Divine Providence, which has called upon me to this work, will give me strength for the performance of its, and that I shall find in the purity of my intentions,and in my zeal for the public welfare, that support and those resources which usually belong to a more mature age and to longer experience.

"I place my firm reliance upon the wisdom of Parliament, and upon the loyalty and affection of my people.  I esteem it also a peculiar advantage, that I succeed to a Sovereign whose constant regards for the rights and liberties of his subjects, and whose desires to promote the amelioration of the laws and institutions of the country, have rendered his name the object of general attachment and veneration.

"Educated in England, under the tender and enlightened care of a most affectionate mother, I have learned from my infancy to respect and love the constitution of my native country.

"It will be my unceasing study to maintain the reformed religion as by law established, securing at the same time to all the full enjoyment of religious liberty; and I shall steadily protect the rights and promote the utmost of my power the happiness and welfare, of all classes of my subjects."

No comments: