Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Prince Antonio de Bourbon-Orleans

The comment about Prince Antonio's renunciation of his Spanish titles made me want to see if there were earlier articles about Antonio in 1919.

On September 9 a Reuter dispatch provided information about reports in the Spanish newspapers: "The papers state that Prince Antonio of Orleans, Infante of Spain, who married Infanta Eulalia of Spain, and whose affairs, by order of the King of Spain, had been placed in the hands of a trustee, escaped on Sunday by motor-car in the direction of Portugal. It is believed that he intends to make for Italy." This Reuter report was published in The Times (London) on September 10.

September 11 - Special Cable to the New York Times, which reports that the Duke of Galliera has arrived in Italy. "The Infante Antonio Bourbon d'Orleans, who has escaped from Madrid to Italy, is very well known here, being Duke of Galliera." As duke, Antonio owned "an immense estate" that stretched between Bologna and Ferrara. It was said that "his possessions are so vast that it is often said he could never visit them all."
For a time, Antonio lived in the "ancestral palace of Galliera," but "owing to his excessive prodigality, especially when living in Paris," he was "compelled to live in Madrid," on order of King Alfonso, who was "appointed administrator of his possessions in Italy."
Antonio has now said that he is "the rightful heir to the property." He chose to escape from Madrid and "prove his title as Duke of Galliera, recognized by royal decree since 1895."

On September 14, according to The Times' correspondent, Prince Antonio, after spending five days in Lisbon, "left on board a vessel specially freighted for London."
A report on December 1 recorded an announcement in the Spanish newspaper El Sol that "the Infante Antonio of Orleans, by an Act of Renunciation bearing yesterday's date, has renounced his title of Infante of Spain and all the privileges pertaining thereto. He also renounces at the same time his Spanish nationality as well, as all his family ties with the Spanish Royal House. The document is witnessed by two Italian personages of high standing." The original dispatch by filed by Reuter, and published 0n December 2, 1919.
A similar AP story, also filed on December 1 (and published in numerous US newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times) states largely the same thing. "El Sol announces today the Infante Antonio of Bourbon-Orleans, by acknowledgement signed November 30 renounced his title as infante of Spain and the privileges attached to the title.
" The newspaper adds that he also relinquished his Spanish nationality and severed family ties with the Spanish royal family."
The Chicago Daily Tribune published a similar story, also datelined December 1, but the source is the French news agency, Havas, which also quoted the Spanish newspaper, El Sol. The Havas report also included information about King Alfonso acting as guardian for Antonio's Italian estate, "owing to the alleged prodigality of the infante."

1 comment:

manuel said...

Thanks for giving further information on that matter. But that renunciation was never legal and effective. The Infante fled from Spain because he was brought before the courts by his sons and inhabiliated, because he had been wasting his fortune with his mistresses. He even tried to sell the Duchy of Galliera.
He lived outside Spain after 1919. His will was registered at the Spanish Embassy in Bern. He died in 1930. He was brought to Spain and buried at El Escorial as Infante of Spain.
So, this "renunciation" was a reaction to the proccess of inhabilitation against him.