July 19, 1917
The Marquess of Carisbrooke and the Lady Irene Denison, daughter of the Earl of Londesborough, were married today at the Chapel of St. James's Palace, reports the New York Times.
King George V and Queen Mary and other member of the British royal family were present for the ceremony. Lord Carisbrooke is the eldest son of Princess Beatrice, youngest daughter of the late Queen Victoria. His sister, Ena, is the wife of King Alfonso XIII of Spain.
Only two days ago, Lord Carisbrooke was HH Prince Alexander of Battenberg, but was created Marquess of Carisbrooke after George V abolished German titles, and established the house of Windsor.
King George and Queen Mary were accompanied by their daughter, Princess Mary. Queen Alexandra was accompanied by her daughters, the Princess Royal and Princess Victoria and her granddaughter, Princess Maud.
Other royal guests included the Duke of Connaught, King Manoel of Portugal, Prince Napoleon and Princess Clementine, Princess Christian and Princess Helena Victoria, Prince and Princess Arthur of Connaught, Princess Patricia, the Duchess of Albany, Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, Princess Marie Louise, the Marquess and Marchioness of Milford Haven and the Lady Louise Mountbatten, the Countess Torby, the Earl and Countess of Medina and Countess Zia Torby.
According to the Times, the chapel was "beautifully decorated with group of palms, variegated maples and ferns with lilies and other white flowers."
The bride was given away by her father. She wore a "draped princess gown of white satin, over which was Brussels lace which gained a prize at the Exhibition of 1851, and was bought by the bride's great-grandfather, the Duke of Beaufort."
Lady Irene's mother and grandmother also the lace at their weddings. The gown's train was lined with blue and made of "pompadour brocade in a design of lotus flowers in blue and silver, bordered with white satin on each side."
A drapery of the "same lovely Brussels" was hung from the shoulders. She wore a cornet "of orange blossoms and a tulle veil edged with silver." Her jewels included a "magnificent spray of roses in diamonds," an heirloom from Lord Carisbrooke's family, a diamond riviere, a gift from the King and Queen of Spain, and a diamond and sapphire pendant from the Hon. Mrs. Ronald Greville.
Lady Irene did not have any bridesmaids, and due to the "absence of Lord Leopold Mountbatten," the groom's younger brother, Captain Sitwell, Grenadier Guards, was best man.
The opening part of the service was performed by Canon Clement Smith, who baptized the bridegroom, while the officiant for the marriage rite was the Archbishop of Canterbury. Canon Edgar Sheppard also took part in the wedding ceremony.
After the wedding, the newlyweds and members of the royal family were driven to 7 Chesterfield Gardens, where the registrar was signed.
There was no reception, and Lord and Lady Carisbrooke left to spend their honeymoon at Polesden Lacey, lent to them by the Hon. Mrs. Greville.
The engagement between Lord Carisbrooke and Lady Irene was announced in May.