Wednesday, May 5, 2010

King Edward seriously ill

May 5, 1910

King Edward VII is "seriously ill," according to the New York Times and other newspapers. Buckingham Palace tonight issues a medical medical bulletin announcing that the king is suffering from bronchitis. His condition causes "some anxiety" in the minds of his subjects.
News of his illness spread quickly after it became known that the king was unable to go to the train station earlier today to meet Queen Alexandra "on her return from the Continent. There had to be "something more than slight indisposition" that kept Edward, "the most punctilious of monarchs, from paying this courtesy to his Queen."
The official explanation "was dismissed as inadequate," especially due to Queen Alexandra's "hurried journey" home.
The news of the king's illness "deepened into alarm when the medical bulletin was issued. Newspapers published special editions, now available in London, and the newspapers' placards announced "the King's illness in terms not calculated to allay anxiety."
The King returned to London from Biarritz on April 27. He attended a performance of "Rigoletto" at the Opera on the same evening. The New York Times correspondent noted "how little benefit he appeared to have derived from his sojourn at Biarritz."
Last Friday, he went to see "Alas Jimmy Valentine" at the Comedy Theatre, and the next morning too the train to Sandringham. He returned to Buckingham Palace on Monday morning, and has since "not left the palace."
The King is said to be in "good spirits," and was visited tonight by several members of the Royal Family. He is resting comfortably, according to the most recent bulletin. His doctors, Sir Francis Laking and Sir James Reid, will be remain at the Palace "through the night."
Queen Alexandra was advised of her husband's condition this morning when she reached Calais from her Mediterranean trip. The instructions for her trip across the Channel were to be made "as quickly as possible." But a storm delayed the royal yacht Alexandra, and one of the accompanying destroyers reached Dover 15 minutes in advance of the Queen, "and conveyed instructions to the port and railway authorities to have everything in readiness for the speedy departure of the train" to take the Queen to London.
Queen Alexandra arrived in London at 3:30 p.m., and she was met at the station by the Prince and Princess of wales. The Prince remains at the Palace, and is not expected to leave until late in the night.
The Daily Mail's editorial sums up the affection for the King, who succeeded his mother, Queen Victoria, in 1901.
"No sovereign was ever held in such universal affection by his people as King Edward VII. Nothing could be more disquieting than the news of his illness at this critical moment in the affairs of State, when his moderating influence and supreme tact and experience are sorely required."

No comments: